Introducing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
Hyperbaric medicine, also known as hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), describes the use of 90-100% oxygen at higher than normal pressures in order to speed up the recovery from certain injuries and to improve the body’s ability to heal from a variety of conditions.
The helpfulness of HBOT lies in its ability to produce much greater amounts of oxygen in the tissues of the body. The increase in pressure of oxygen with HBOT is a lot higher than breathing pure oxygen at normal pressure and up to 5-15 times higher than breathing air. It is this increased saturation of oxygen in our body tissues that can accelerate the natural healing process.
Benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
The use of HBOT around the world is rapidly becoming more popular as the benefits are better understood and research is carried out on new applications.
For example HBOT may:
- promote the growth of new blood vessels
- decrease swelling and inflammation
- assist in the recovery from certain injuries
- improve healing, e.g., for chronic ulcers, burns, post-surgical wounds & bone repair
- help to overcome certain toxins
- increase the body’s ability to fight various infections
- be used to complement other therapies and treatments
We have a new, specially designed and computerized chamber which allows the patient easy access and to sit comfortably with plenty of visibility to the outside through 3 large windows. It can be operated both from outside and inside using a simple touch screen, and has an intercom system to speak to those outside the chamber.
Treatments are usually between 1.3-1.5ATA for 60-90 minutes. Please see the patient information booklet for more details, including potential risks. Cost is $145-180 depending on length of treatment (usually 60-90 minutes).
For more information about some of the potential applications of HBOT please see the articles below:
- Stem cell mobilization by hyperbaric oxygen
- Hyperbaric Therapy in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Diminish Fibromyalgia Syndrome
- Hyperbaric Oxygen as a Therapy of Bell’s Palsy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for traumatic brain injury
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of chronic cluster headache
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Induces Late Neuroplasticity in Post Stroke Patients
- Hyperbaric treatment for children with autism
- HBOT in the Treatment of Cerebral Palsy